Jan 5, 2012

Drugstore Shampoo Failure: Garnier Fructis Color Shield

If you couldn't quite tell from said haircut below, I have extremely thick hair. 

I am told, consistently, how "amazing thick hair is" and "how many fabulous hair styles you can do with thick hair."  Though that may be true, I have wanted nothing other than thinner, easier to manage hair.  Yes, I love that I don't ever have to use thickening creams or volumizing products and can go for three (even four) days without having to wash it BUT this is where the convenience ends.  I use a handful of shampoo/conditioner every time I wash my hair, it takes ages to fully blow dry and a straightener will only straighten my locks if it's on the hottest setting.  This means, you guessed it, that my hair is unbelievably over-processed and dry.  Hence my need for a great shampoo/conditioner.

Unfortunately, Garnier Fructis Color Shield was not it.

Pros:
Smells just like strawberry yogurt
Price is phenomenal at $5.99 per 750 mL
Prevents color from fading
Cons:
Shampoo doesn't lather well 
Shampoo doesn't fully clean the hair
Conditioner doesn't do anything, at all
Hair looks lackluster after use

Conditioner on the left and Shampoo on the right
Booo...I had such high hopes for this shampoo.  Not only was the price phenomenal but I adored the strawberry yogurt smell.  Trust me though, my friends, when I say to steer clear of this shampoo; try not to be sucked in with the fantastic pricing.  I should have saved the $12 spent on these items and purchased something from the L'Oreal EverPure product line instead.

**PS - I should probably mention that my hair stylist, Alicja, who cut my hair into a really cute bob nearly died when I told her the type of shampoo I was using.  She said that my hair was so dry because of it and ended up giving me a ton of salon shampoo/conditioner samples to take home.  Thanks lady!**

5 comments:

  1. I am a hairdresser also! If you want to find out exactly why you didn't get the result you were after, you can read a blog post I did last year explaining the difference between salon and supermarket shampoo & conditioners and their ingredients!
    http://makeupjunkieconfessions.blogspot.com/2011/10/salon-vs-supermarket.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Wonderland Styling
    Hey lady...yes I definitely know the differences between drugstore and professional products BUT with the wedding coming up, I've been trying to cut back on expensive hair care items. Big mistake obviously...ha

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with the latest shampoo and conditioner I got at the salon. I was lucky they were having a sale on them too! It's Bain de Terre color preserving & volumizing shampoo and conditioner. I adore it!! Too bad about the drug store brand... :( xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what? I'm not even surprised about this. Since I've started using LUSH shampoo bar, I have decided to completely cut out liquid shampoos of my life. Most of them are full of nasty things anyway and they only seem to make my hair greasier and greasier! I'm currently testing LUSH New! Shampoo Bar and so far, I'm impressed! It left my hair sooooooo shiny after the FIRST use and it's supposed to promote hair growth. I'll be sure to review it after some times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear this didn't work out! On the bright side, at least you didn't plunk down a bunch of money on it. I'm still going to steer clear of this after reading your review though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.