Jan 27, 2012

DIY Beauty Fridays: Young-ify Your Eyes

Alright, so I know that "youngify" is not a word but it captures exactly what today's DIY tip is: Under-eye concerns and how to treat them.  I'm guessing that if you're like me your eye area can occasionally look blah.  Whether your concern is dark circles, crow's feet, puffiness or redness there is a homemade recipe that can help.

First you should know that the eye area is expecially thin and oh-so sensitive making it that much more important to take care of.  Because the area is so thin, it can flare up extremely quickly when you're stressed, tired, or eating bad-for-you-but-yummy food.  Instead of rushing out to buy the most expensive cure-all product on the market, check your pantry or fridge.  Here are four fabulous, inexpensive options to youngify your eyes!

1.  Chamomile, Green or Black Tea
I know I've mentioned this before but it does actually help ease redness and puffiness around the eye area.  Chamomile is a natural anti-inflammatory while green and black tea contain compounds called tannins.  (Oh, and caffeine)  Tannins have an astringent effect on the skin (so they aid in shrinking the pores) while caffeine constricts the blood vessels to reduce swelling.  Tip: Boil some water and steep two chamomile, green or black tea bags in the boiling water for about three minutes.  Remove from the water and place in fridge until cool.  Place one over each eye and relax for 15 minutes.

2.  Chilled Spoons 
Yes, you heard me right.  Spoons, when chilled, also constricts the blood vessels which helps decrease the redness and puffiness in the eye area.  Tip: Place four metal spoons in a glass of very chilled water.  When cold, place on spoon on each eye, following the contour of the eye socket.  As the spoons begin to warm, swap them for the chilled spoons and replace the warm ones in the cool water.  Continue this process until the swelling subsides.

3.  Milk
This is a little trick I've been using for years and is especially fantastic when used before going out in the evening.  (And before you have makeup on.)  Cold milk also constricts the blood vessels which helps decrease puffiness and swelling.  The fat in milk also helps treat dry or irritated skin.  (I use skim milk and it still does the trick though.)  Tip: Pour some ice cold milk or cream in a small bowl and soak two cotton balls in the milk.  Squeeze out the excess from the cotton balls and put one over each eye.  As the cotton balls begin to warm, soak two more and repeat the process for up to 15 minutes.


4.  Cucumber Slices 
This is such a classic remedy but works to reduce puffiness, redness and and swelling.  Cucumber contains ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and caffeic acid, both of which are known to reduce swelling and puffiness.  Tip: Cut some cucumber (ensure that it's ice cold) and place one slice over each eye.  Lay back and relax with the cucumber on for 10 to 15 minutes.  Remove the slices and rinse your face with cool water.

Aren't these great tips?  Growing up in a household, and with a mom, that always expressed the importance of eye cream and eye care, these tips are something I use often.  I love that my eye area is almost completely crow's feet-free and hardly ever puffy, despite many late nights and alcoholic bevvies.  Try these out ladies!  I'm sure you can find one in this list that becomes your HG!

Happy weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow! So many ideas!! I've tried the cucumber one and the tea bags, I love them both! Spoons are great idea, since everyone has spoons! haha! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found another beauty fanatic! Thank you for commenting on my post so I could follow you :)
    Keep up the good work x

    www.womenweartrousers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chilled spoons sadly never work for me for some reasons -_- I'm trying to use up that roller ball thingy from Garnier that doesn't work either... I will have to try the milk trick! Thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does this work for dark circles too? My eyes aren't necessarily puffy, but I have hereditary dark circles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.