Mar 29, 2011

The Pros and Cons of Tokidoki's Gelato Lip Balms

The brand, Tokidoki, is really new to me. I've seen the display many times while shopping at Sephora and though the packaging is extremely bright and fun, I've never tried any of their products. About three weeks ago that changed. See, I needed some new lip balm, literally. For some reason, my lips have been so chapped. Typically, I never get chapped lips. Allan says it's because I can't go more than 9 minutes without applying something to my lips (which is very true) but all the lipstick/gloss in the world can not prevent the chappy horror story happening on my face. So, instead of buying my tried-and-true lip balm (Rosebud Perfume Co. Minted Rose Lip Balm...yummy) I figured I should try something different so I picked out two lip balms from Tokidoki's line: Gelato Lip Balm Stain in Donutella and Pink Martini. First impression is fantastic. I love the packaging (it's super bright, cheerful and there are tons of cute little characters surrounding the tube) and the lip colors are very vibrant. I used the Pink Martini balm first and was instantly drawn to it's bright fuschia tone. Seriously, this product not only goes on smooth BUT actually adds the perfect amount of color. The Donutella shade, though, is more of a sheer coral-strawberry shade and has slowly become my go-to coral tone. The downside is that your lips do not stay moisturized for very long. Though the color of the balm lasts a long time on your lips, the balm-feeling does not. So, you still feel like you need to apply the balm every five minutes, even though the color is still on your lips. Because I've been wearing this gloss for the past two days solid, I've ended up with very flaky, chapped lips. I still love the Donutella shade but am thinking I'll need to wear it over the Rosebud balm if I want to continue my relationship with this colorful product. My lips are, quite obviously, screaming for additional moisture. Have you ladies tried this line before? Oh, and what's your go-to lip balm? I'm thinking I could really use some advice in that area at the moment.....

7 comments:

  1. I love these! I have Donutella, and it is a gorgeous shade. I usually apply this in the morning and then use a regular chap stick throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am obsessed with anything Tokidoki and i am so jealous you picked up one of the lip balms! I have been wanting one for so long but Sephora is so far from me!

    I am glad to hear the color coverage is good though, now i want one even more =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Yami...Donutella is soooo gorgeous. I am really happy that I actually tried this brand. Plus, you're definitely right about the chapstick thing...

    @Kenzie. You have to try one! Honestly, the colors are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried this line before. My go to balm is definitely Burt's Bees. I have them scattered all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never even heard of Tokidoki, but I agree that the packaging looks really bright and fun! Something I would like to have in my purse!

    I personally use Elisabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant on my lips. It's a lifesaver!!

    Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog btw!! I will definitely follow your blog because it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite lip balms come from OrangeThyme on Etsy - Apricot Plum, Blackberry (tinted) and Juicy Peach all smell and taste incredible, and keep my lips soft and smooth forEVER - but I hate her customer service :( the orders always seem to get backed up and then you have to go searching for an explanation of why your order still hasn't shipped since she never contacted you ... but I love her products, so I stock up whenever I place an order and then try to be patient ^_^;

    ReplyDelete
  7. hii X just came across your gorgeous little blog will definitely be following from now on soo cute iv just started mine would lovee if bloggers would have a nosey & maybe follow me too <3 ! my go to lip balms are Carmex who have also recently launchd a cherry version & vaseline is an ultimate fave they also have launched some different versions such as a cocoa butter one (smells SO good), aloe vera, & a rose tinted one which u will like if u prefer more of a color as well as moisture :) XXXX

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.