Mar 25, 2011

DIY Beauty Fridays: Homemade Lip Scrub

Wednesday was supposed to be my "wear red lipstick to work" day. So, I woke up, had my shower and plopped myself down at my vanity table to create a dramatic "hump day" look. Unfortunately, when the time came to apply the lipstick, I realized my lips were a tad bit flaky. Now everyone knows that you can not wear red lipstick unless your lips are absolutely perfectly smooth and buffed. So, instead of running to the kitchen to create my quick lip scrub, I added more shadow to my eyes and went for a dramatic eye look instead. Still nice BUT not the look I wanted.... Lip scrubs are the easiest to make because you only need two ingredients. I've bought many many many lip scrubs over the years and always seem to go back to this because it's inexpensive and does exactly what it's supposed to. You take: 1 tbsp canola/vegetable/olive oil (whatever you have at home) 1 tsp sugar Mix both ingredients together until it's extremely gritty. (Adjust the amounts to how you like. Sometimes, if my lips are really flaky, I'll add extra sugar.) Once combined, apply to lips and rub around in circular motions. (Usually for about 5-7 minutes.) Remove with a warm washcloth and you're good to go. Seriously, this mixture is by far the easiest product to make and works like a charm. You can actually use this same recipe as a body scrub as well. You'll be amazed, trust me. So, today is without a doubt a "wine day". By this I mean drinking something that's ready to go and easy to drink. This week has been an absolute horror for me (because of the packing) and I can not wait for Sunday to roll around when we finally get to wake up in our new home. I'll be honest, I don't know that much about wine but I sure love how I feel after a couple glasses....ha. Bottoms up ladies and happy scrubbing! XO

8 comments:

  1. Woah! 5-7 minutes? I don't think I've ever been able to scrub anything that long! I get too bored and I'm too easily distracted hahaha! My hat's off to you for you dedication to looking good! hehe
    Enjoy your wine! You deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a wet wash cloth to do this, but this is way better! The oil probably makes it more gentle and moisturizing. Ironically, I have never tried this on my lips, but have one the nails. Now we know where our loyalties lie, lol.

    OMG I'm so hitting the bottle today too, yay! Cheers :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the scrub idea and after this horrible cold, god knows, my lips need some TLC!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also masage my lips by brush ;)
    This suger scrub is good ;)

    I sometimes put some honey on my lips too ;)

    Follow me if u want:
    lady-flower123.blogspot.com
    I'm following u now ;)
    xoxo ;*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually use Vaseline with sugar, it's yummy! But 5-7 minutes is a loooong time to scrub LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHA! I know 5 minutes can be a long time, this is the time-frame that I do, with little breaks in between, but 2 minutes will give the same results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I really need to start doing this. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, this comment is incredibly delayed, but may I say that this lip scrub is the most incredible I have tried? I've tried sugar and olive oil with vaseline and honey, but it doesn't work after like 2 weeks. This will sound totally and incredibly weird, but I made this mixture and put it in a baby jar in June, and I still have it now, in November! This is awesome--thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.