Oct 4, 2011

GUEST POST: Kristi's Adventure With Clinton Kelly (Yes, From What Not To Wear)

I adore the fashion advice and product reviews on the Red Lip Gloss blog written by the fun and feisty Christina, so when she invited me to write a guest post, I felt honoured.  As a fellow style and fashion junkie, I am excited to share some of what I learned from the master of style himself, Clinton Kelly. I was fortunate enough to spend an entire day with him in Toronto when I won a spot on a makeover show.  (If you are interested in watching the segment, log on to www.marilyn.ca and search the archive folder for the March 4th episode. I’m the one right beside Clinton below.)


With that said, here are five tips and tricks I learned from the master of style himself:

Get fitted for a BRA:  The bra you wear day to day is not the bra you wear with your boyfriend /husband in bed for a little nookie!   Trust me, when you have the right fitting bra, it makes a world of difference not only in how you feel, but in how you look.  Back fat bulges disappear and a lean and slim waist appears as if by magic.  Trust me, it’s a beautiful thing!  Take the time, spend the money and get yourself a fitted, then BUY the bra they recommend for you.  The Bay is a great place to get this done for free, and they have an abundance of pretty, yet functional bras to choose from.  Our bodies change all the time, so have a bra fitting every year to ensure you maintain the proper fit. 

High heels with RUBBER soles:   I had no idea they were available but they are and they're WONDERFUL!  My most comfortable boots are a pair of 4 inch suede wedges that I wear like running shoes and I also have a pair of 4 inch metallic snake skin pumps that I can walk in all day and not feel a thing.  They tend to be a little more expensive, but well worth the money. Try a major department store when looking for rubber soles as they have many brands to choose from.  I will never go back now that I have rubber soles!   

Fit, fit, fit:  Clothes that are purchased off the rack are intended to fit the majority of people of that size.  They are not intended to fit YOU perfectly, so they need to be altered.  Again, this is something you will want to spend the time and money on as it makes your clothes go from ordinary to extraordinary and is another way to visually drop 10 pounds without ever setting foot in a gym. 

 The two x two rule:  (Not my closet!) The rule states that before you purchase ANYTHING you must determine if the piece can be used for more than two reasons (i.e. work and going out, or casual lunch and work) and already matches with two other pieces in your closet.  If the piece cannot be used for more than two functions, do NOT buy it.  If it does not match two other items you already own, do NOT buy it.  This eliminates items that are only worn once or twice a year or only as an “outfit”.  You will own fewer pieces but have more choices.  Set aside an afternoon or evening and take everything out of your closet.  If you have not worn the piece in a year, donate it to charity. If the piece does not make you feel FABULOUS, get rid of it.  Why would we ever want to put something on our bodies that does not make us feel like the gorgeous creatures we are!?? Once you have “edited” your clothes, start determining which colors look best on you and donate the ones that don’t do anything for you.  You will be shocked at how little you have left at this point! I certainly was!!  My closet is only half full and I feel like I have twice as many options.  

Accessories:  The final tip I learned from Clinton Kelly on the Marilyn Denis show was how to accessorize.  I have two small children (aged 2 and 4) and am not one to throw on a big pair of earrings (that will be torn out of my ears!) or a long necklace that little hands will break off my neck.  However, I have learned that to instantly glam up an outfit, throwing on a few easy and inexpensive accessories makes a world of difference.  Don’t over-do accessories; it can make you look cheap!  Make your statement with EITHER the necklace OR the earrings, but not both.  I recently met a friend for dinner and we both said we would not dress up as we were tired (the Mom’s anthem!).    With that in mind I threw on a pair of jeans and a black tank top with ballet flats. As an after-thought I pulled on the necklace I am wearing in the picture above with Clinton. It’s hard to see in the picture, but it’s big, glittery and gold.  My friend was angry with me for dressing up so I took off the necklace and she laughed, seeing me in my jeans and tank top.  The necklace had literally “made” the outfit.  Quite an eye opener!  What a difference a little glitter can make!  I am now a sworn accessory wearing mom and my kids are learning to keep their hands off!

I hope these tips help you be more fabulous in an easy and convenient way!  If you want to learn more, watch What Not To Wear, Tuesdays on TLC at 8:00 pm.  Good luck with your fall fashion finds and keep reading Red Lip Gloss for more great advice and reviews! 

**Thank you soooo much, Kristi, for the fabulous post.  Not only are your tips amazingly helpful for us all BUT you look phenomenal in your picture above.  Sigh, love it.**

XO Christina 


5 comments:

  1. What a great post!!! Seriously, I am going to use all those tips now. I think my closet definitively needs a makeover! Thanks Kristi! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brony!! It takes a while but is well worth the work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post! Thanks for the tips, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, thanks again Kristi for the fabulous guest post!!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ladies! It was a blast to write! And thanks again Christina for thinking of me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.