Oct 6, 2011

The 5 Best Toners For Under $20

During my strange bought of dry skin a few months ago, I stopped using toner/astringent.  For some reason, I thought by axing toner, my skin would all of a sudden become normal again.  But, I was wrong.  As soon as I incorporated a sensitive skin toner AND a new moisturizer, my skin was like new again.  Which, of course, got me thinking...What makes for an effective toner?

L to R: Garnier, Dickinson's, Nivea, Burt's Bees and Clinique
For those that are new to the term "toner", it refers to a lotion, wash or liquid designed to cleanse the skin of impurities and reduce the appearance of pores.  They can be applied many different ways (from a cotton pad to a spray bottle and even through a face wash) but the effect is all the same: noticeably clean feeling and radiant skin.  Here are my top 5 toners that cost under $20.

#1 Nivea Visage Gentle Toner for Dry to Sensitive Skin - $8
I bought this on a whim one day because I'd never tried anything by Nivea and thought I should.  I was instantly drawn in by the scent, which is advertised as Almond & Calendula Oil but smells like roses to me.  (I should probably mention that any toner with rose is PERFECT for sensitive skin.)  I've been using a dime size amount both in the morning and at night for the past three weeks and my skin feels exceptionally supple.
Pros:
The small price tag
Available at any drugstore
The smell is divine
Completely alcohol-free
Reduces pore size
Minimizes fine lines
The squeeze container is very sanitary
Cons:
Bottle could be bigger
Not best for oily skin

#2 Burt's Bees Rosewater and Glycerin Toner - $15
This was my go-to toner for years and years.  I adore the smell (which, of course, has roses...ha) and it leaves my skin soft, reduces the appearance of blemishes and makes my skin glow.  Plus, Burt's Bees carries a pretty hefty 99.98% natural tag that strikes a major chord with me.  It's such a nice feeling when you know exactly what you're putting on your skin.
Pros:
Paraben-free
99.98% natural ingredients
Beautiful rose smell
Perfect for sensitive skin
Doesn't dry out your skin
Reduces the appearance of fine lines and blemishes
Cons:
Absolutely nothing!

#3 Dickinson's Pore Perfecting Toner 100% Natural - $6
So, I debated about having this as my #2 but, in the end, smell won!  I should mention that this one does not smell good, at all, but man does it ever work.  Because this product is made with 100% natural witch hazel (a flowering plant) it is absolutely perfect for people with acne or blemishes.  With Hazel actually refines pores, removes and controls oil, soothes irritation and lock in skin's natural moisture.  For all acne sufferers, this will become your go-to product.
Pros:
Great for all skin types
Soothes irritation
Reduces pore size
Actually does control oil throughout the day
Will not dry out your skin
Completely 100% natural
Paraben free
Cons:
The smell is not very nice at all

#4 Clinique's Clarifying Lotion 2 - $15
Yes, this was my tried and true toner for a loooonnng time.  Did it help that my mom was a Clinque rep (probably) and that she always had gallons around the house (absolutely).  But, there's a reason that the 3-Step System still remains on the top; it's because it works.  They reformulated the toners and they are much less abrassive now which is very nice for those people with sensitive skin.  The toner itself leaves skin feeling tingly, removes flakiness and refines pores to make your skin look oh-so clear.
Pros:
Trusted brand
Dermatologist recommended
One for every skin type
Leaves skin feeling tingly and clean
Reduces pore size
Curbs redness
Cons:
Can sometimes be a bit abrassive for extremely sensitive skin
Smells a bit alcohol-y

5.  Garnier Skin Naturals Fresh Vitamin-Enriched Toner - $11

I sometimes feel like I'm out of the loop when it comes to certain products.  Like, when did Garnier release a natural skin care line? Anyway, since I hadn't seen it before, I knew I had to get it.  This toner has a fantastic fresh scent, almost rivaling the Nivea one BUT this one is made with grapes instead.  This product brightens your complexion, rinses away dead skin and leaves skin extremely soft to the touch.
Pros:
Very inexpensive
Fantastic smell 
Works to brighten dull skin tones
Leaves skin very smooth 
Removes impurities 
Tightens pores
Cons:
Doesn't reduce redness

How's that for a great list!  I adore toners.  I honestly use them twice a day and have incorporated them into my skin care regime for many years.  Not only do they make your skin feel amazingly soft and supple but they give you skin that much needed moisture after cleansing.  If you haven't started using a toner, I highly recommend that you do.  Plus, how can you go wrong if they're under $20?

XO Christina

5 comments:

  1. I love toners! A fabulous friend of mine introduced me to their benefits after not liking the burn of the Clinique one (mind you that was years ago). It's a definite mainstay in my routine. I haven't tried any of these ones tho (except the Clinique one) so I think I may have to pick one, or three, up to try. Thanks for the Post Christina!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't used a toner in years! But my skin is recently getting even more dry in the colder months. I'm definitely going to grab one of these up this weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried the Nivea, it sounds lovely! :)

    The Dickinson's one is nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Organix has a cherry blossom or floral one (I can't remember but it's in a pink bottle) and it's like $10. It smells DIVINE and I've been meaning to try it for a while. I'll have to pick it up now and see how I like it.

    Great post, as always! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am tempted to try the Nivea toner just because you said it smells good. How said is that?
    My favourite toner is by Shiseido but it's over $20
    I want to try the Sukin toner next.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.