Sep 16, 2015

The Week of Vampy Oxblood - Day 3: The Lipstick


When I originally began looking for lipsticks that fit "Vampy Oxblood", I came up empty handed.  For days, actually, I was trying to find the perfect black red tone that would work well with my complexion but also give off that vampy hue without appearing too goth.  Well, glossers, I've found them and, better yet, they are all found in your trusty drugstore.

I found 4 gorgeous vampy oxblood lipsticks that you must absolutely run out and get: Maybelline Color Blur Cream Matte Pencil & Smudger in #35 Plum Please, Cargo Cosmetics Essential Lip Color in Bordeaux, Rimmel London Lasting Finish Lipstick in #124 Bordeaux and Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in #477 Black Cherry.


First up is the Maybelline Smudger.  Fun product as the color is on one end while the smudger is on the other.  The trick with this is to apply the color to the centre of your top and bottom lips and then use the smudger to spread the color all over.  Genius, really, if you classically put on too much product and then end up blotting it off (yes, that's me.)  I am getting used to matte lipsticks and will say that this one is very matte so ensure you scrub your lips prior to application (notice I did NOT do that).  The color itself is more blood red but still a great find.


Cargo Cosmetics is up next with it's take on a Bordeaux lipstick.  I wanted to love this one the most being that it has the highest price point AND is moisturizing but I did find it less pigmented than the other 3 colors.  I will say that because it is moisturizing, I will be using this one on a regular basis and I liked the way my lips felt (and looked) after applying it.  The color is not as vampy as the other ones but still has a great deep tone.


Ah, Rimmel, you've done it again for me.  I love this tone.  It borders more on the deep purple red than black but still a great color.  I can honestly say that I've never gone wrong with a Rimmel lip color.  To be honest, I was looking for #004 but found this one instead and am so happy I purchased it.  For a deep color that will look amazing with every skin tone, you must grab this.


Revlon is definitely the blackest of the bunch (hence the name Black Cherry) and I actually am quite taken with it.  I think this lipstick paired with the Buxom lip gloss from yesterday, could be quite the vampy pair.

Showing the actual color of Black Cherry as the lighting is poor in the bathroom
Things to note when applying any dark lipstick shade:
EXFOLIATE your lips like crazy.  (Sugar scrubs are great and easy to make - Check out my DIY)
Use a LIPLINER and a good one.  Lipsticks bleed and the last thing you want is color on your chin.
Apply using a good LIPSTICK BRUSH.  The tube can only be used for touch ups.  You need something sturdy to get full color on your lips (Also use powder between layers)
PRACTICE makes perfect.  I am apologizing for my lips as I am posting this at 11pm having just come home from yoga and a long day with my little one.

What is your favorite dark shade of lipstick?  Any people out there loving the dark purple instead of dark red?

    

2 comments:

  1. I do like the Rimmel one best. They have been coming out with some great lipsticks recently!
    The new colors out there for lips, it just crazy!! I love the purples too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite colour is 'lip gloss' haha!!! But they all look awesome on you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.