Jul 1, 2011

DIY Beauty Fridays: Homemade Tomato Cleaners, Masks and After-Sun Relief

Thanks to my friend, Ariella, who casually reminded me that I've yet to blog about oily skin on my DIY Beauty series.  It's funny because as soon as she said it, I instantly mentioned how tomatoes actually help with problematic/oily skin and she replies with a "Well, maybe you should talk about it on your blog then..."

Ummm, well okay.  Ha

As we all know, no two skin types are exactly the same.  Some people are perfectly lucky and have normal skin while others have overly sensitive skin that reacts to every product under the sun.  Despite all of our skin differences, there is one fruit (vegetable?) on the market that can actually aid ALL skin types: the tomato.  It's mind blowing to think that one item can actually work for everyone BUT, honestly, a single tomato is packed with Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, 9 different minerals, over 5 B Vitamins, Vitamin E and lycopene (the most potent antioxidant known).  Of course, when you eat a tomato you're taking in all these essentials but when you put it on your face, your skin absorbs these great minerals and vitamins which leaves behind extremely healthy and glowing skin.

Tomato Cleanser (Oily Skin)

1/2 cup Tomato juice
1 tsp. Lemon juice

If skin is overly oily, rinse skin once a day with this mixture.  This wash will help reduce the overproduction of oil AND improve your skin's overall look and texture.

Tomato Mask (Normal Skin)

Juice of 1/2 a tomato
2 tsp. Plain yogurt (For those not familiar, I use the Greek God's brand..)

This is one of my absolute favorite masks EVER.  Mix together both the juice and yogurt.  Apply liberally to face and let dry.  Wash off gently once dried.  Your skin will literally glow after this quick mask.

Tomato Rub (Oily Skin)

All you need is the tomato pulp.  Rub the pulp around your face and leave on 20 minutes to an hour, depending on your time schedule.  Remove with cool water.  Have a quick look at your skin after this rub because not only will you notice that your pores are smaller but it will also help with breakouts should you have any.

Tomato and Honey Mask (All Skin Types)

1/4 cup Tomato juice
2 Tbsp. Honey

Mix ingredients together and apply directly to clean face and neck. Leave on for about 15 minutes and then wash off with cool water.  (You might want to use less tomato juice and more honey, if it's looking too thin.  However, I do find that these measurements are pretty decent.)

Tomato Sunburn Spray 

Juice of 1/2 tomato
4 Tbsp. buttermilk
Spray bottle (if you have one)

You will seriously thank me once you use this easy-to-make spray.  Mix everything together and pour into a spray bottle.  Leave in the fridge between uses, so that it stays cold and apply liberally to sunburned limbs.  (Note: this product will not last more than 24 hours in the fridge so it's best to make it in small batches.)

The tomato might be my least favorite food BUT when it comes to skincare, it's one of the best ingredients I know.  Trust me, your skin will look and feel fabulous once you've done one of these treatments. 

Have an awesome Canada Day (1st) AND Independence Day (4th)!!  XO

7 comments:

  1. Wow!! Great post with tons of info!! I can't wait to try some of these masks! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How super useful!!! I want something to shrink my pores. Usually foodie masks like that kind of intimidate me, but I may have to try this,!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! And your friend Ariella sounds just like my friends with the "If you're going to give me advice on it, why haven't you already blogged about it?" Haha! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh thank you for these tips! I've actually been using plain, natural yogurt as a mask and now, I think I'll be trying some of these! :D

    BTW, http://tiffyama.blogspot.com/2011/06/feature-butterfly-blogger-award.html -- check it when you get the chance. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard people sing the praises of tomatoes as a beauty product. I have yet to try it, but I really am curious as nature's products are the best products! I'd like to try out that Tomato Rub..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to try this! :) I've heard a lot of good things about tomatoes. I'm not a fan of them as a food either

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tomato and honey mask sounds interesting!:D

    I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.