Mar 28, 2012

Traveling to Bali, Indonesia

Ubud, Bail, our first island destination.  Photo courtesy of http://island-in-bali.blogspot.ca
Today marks 5.5 months until both the wedding and our honeymoon.  (September 15, 2012 is the official day for those that may not know.)  All of the planning that's gone into creating a one-of-a-kind vintage celebration has been exhausting, amazing and surreal all at the same time.  And best part is that because I have had some amazing help from my friends, I am in this incredible lull as most things are planned and I finally get a chance to be enjoy being engaged.  Oh, and of course, plan our honeymoon.

Photo courtesy of www.aquamarinediving.com
Bali is our honeymoon destination.  We leave Vancouver on Monday the 17th (just 2 days after the wedding) and get to enjoy a glorious 3 weeks traveling around the island.  We will be staying in Ubud (first half of the trip) and Seminyak (second part) and have hired some fabulous drivers to take us off the beaten track to see what the locals see.  As exciting as the wedding is, is it wrong for us to be just a bit more stoked for the honeymoon? 

Though we'll be documenting our trip when we're there via this blog (we want to keep our friends and family updated as to where we are, ect.) I thought I would take some time to show you some pics of the where we're staying, what we're going to be eating AND how we're going to spend our time.  Check these pics out!!

The Inata Hotel in Ubud.  Photos courtesy of www.tripadvisor.com
This is the Inata Hotel in Ubud, Bail and our home for about 10 days of the trip.  I selected this hotel after MANY sleepless nights spent scouring the internet for a place that had positive reviews and excellent staff.  This was the place.  PLUS, for only $55 CAD a night, it's a steal as it includes a fabulous rice field view, breakfast, free WiFi and is less than a 5 minute walk from the city centre.  For those that aren't aware, Ubud is where they filmed the movie Eat Pray Love with Julia Roberts.

Babi Guling at Ibu Oka's.  Photo courtesy of www.travelfish.org
FOOD!!  I am most excited about the food, honestly.  I love spicy food and have been told that the dishes are similar to Thai, which I adore.  The dish the Balinese are known for is called Babi Guling, or Suckling Pig (in English).  The dish is made by roasting a whole pig over charcoal made from coconut shells.  The reason the pig tastes so good is that it's been stuffed with vegetables and spice pastes.  I've been told that the best place to try this pig feast is in Ubud at a restaurant called Ibu Oka's.  For only $3 CAD, you get a massive plate full of pig -goodness.

Naughty Nuri's famous ribs.  Photo courtesy of http://travel.nytimes.com
OMG, the other place I am DYING to try is called Naughty Nuri's Warung and Grill.  I have read nothing but fabulous things about this joint and being as obsessed with ribs/BBQ as I am, I KNEW we'd be going to this place a few times (at least).  PLUS, with main courses ranging from $1.70 to $4.20 CAD, it's the place to go for low prices and high flavor.  (And it's all done in the open...similar to a food truck or street vendor.)  Man, I am drooling already.

Elephant Safari Park.  Photo courtesy of www.triasbali.com
Elephants are one of my favorite animals and when I heard (and read) there was an Elephant Safari Park in Bali, I knew we had to visit it.  Not only do you get to touch, feed and observe these animals in their own habitat, you can actually ride them too.  To ride an elephant is very pricey ($60 USD) so I'm sure Allan and I won't be doing that.  But I can't wait to touch one and see them up close.

The Ubud Market.  Photo courtesy of www.balistarisland.com
Ubud has a massive market open daily from very early to very late.  The prices are, of course, cheap but haggling is a must.  Allan and I have already began haggling amongst ourselves to ensure we're prepared for the nattering.  They have everything here from shoes, to sarongs, to food to jewelry and I can't wait to see what strikes my fancy.


The Amadea Resort and Villas.  Photos courtesy of www.agoda.com
Seminyak is the last leg of our adventure and our hotel is called Amadea Resort & Villas.  I had originally booked a different hotel BUT after some issues with safety and the reservation, I cancelled it and reserved this place.  It looks like an absolute dream.  And it should because we're paying about $80 CAD a night, which is rather pricey for Bali BUT NOT pricey for Seminyak.  Because it's so touristy, and right on the beach, Seminyak is a very pricey place.  But the food is supposed to be fantastic all over Seminyak so we knew we had to experience it.

I've been planning more things in Ubud then I have for Seminyak and I'm thinking it's because of it being a beach town.  Allan and I are going to spend our days laying in the sun (with 60+ sunscreen on), relaxing and eating crazy awesome meals.  I can't wait!

Have you taken any crazy trips lately?  Any advice on traveling to Bali?

6 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you guys and this trip! It's going to be so amazing! I am completely jealous!xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, no need to be jealous. Bali is so cheap that everyone can go eventually! I am just so excited

      xo

      Delete
  2. Spending your honeymoon in Bali is such a great idea. Looks like this trip is going to be fun and exciting! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog looking beautiful and well described about Bali Honeymoon Package
    Bali Holiday Packages I found various information here about Bali Packages
    Bali Honeymoon Holiday packages
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. beauty starts with Bali, heaven on earth..thanks for information love to see this place again.


    Destination Travels
    http://www.destinationtravels.in/
    destinationtrvl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.