Nov 11, 2011

DIY Beauty Fridays: Homemade Blackhead Treatment

 Blackheads are a nuisance, plain and simple.  I say nuisance because they aren't usually big and puffy like a blemish nor can they be removed without hurting/scarring the skin.  They're a nuisance because these little black marks can stay on your skin for weeks without ever doing anything EXCEPT annoy you. 

I'm lucky, I don't have too many of these little black dots on my skin because my nose has taken the brunt of it.  Honestly, it's covered in tons of little back dots.  I remember my sister always squeezing her blackheads out after she'd have a shower but her nose would be like Rudolph's at the end of it.  I prefer to use less torturous methods...

Homemade Blackhead Treatment


1 TBSP unflavored gelatin (you can find this in the baking section in any grocery store)
1 1/2 TBSP milk (Skim for me since it's all I have in the house)

Mix ingredients together in microwave-safe dish and heat in microwave for about 10 - 13 seconds.  Remove from microwave and stir with a (clean!) spoon.  Apply generously to problem areas avoiding the eye area at all costs.  Ensure your skin is clean prior to treatment.  Let sit and fully dry on skin for about 20 minutes (longer if necessary) and, once settled, peel the treatment off your skin.  The stuff clogging your pores should be stuck to the treatment film.  (it's like you've created your own personal Biore Pore Strips!!!)  After removing the treatment, rinse skin with cold water to close the pores.

**As pesky as blackheads are try not to pick, extract or squeeze any inflammed areas.  This will make the blackhead area worse AND can infect other "clean" areas of the skin.  Should your skin have inflammed blackheads, wait to use this treatment until after the swelling has gone down.**

Happy cleansing!!!

15 comments:

  1. Great DIY! I'm lucky not to have blackheads very often, but I think this is such a idea!
    Love the new look too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. @bronwen
    Thanks so much Bronwen! Yes, blackheads are annoying and you're so lucky not to get them

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna try this! Do you think flavored gelatin would work too? I only ask because I have that in my pantry hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm gonna have to try this, I'll have to go buy some gelatin tomorrow! I hate my blackheads, nothing seems to shift them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I've actually tried this before, but it didn't work too well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this! I want to rid the blackheads on my nose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I so need to try this. Nothing works on my nose. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow what an amazing tip! Bet it works out a lot cheaper than branded blackhead strips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @prettyinthedesert

    I'm sure that it would work but the reason you want to use unflavored gelatin is because of all the additives in the flavored. But, if you try it, you should definitely let me know

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Vintage Makeup

    Booo, well I guess not everything can always work hey?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the comments everyone!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG I love your blog, Christina!
    I've just started my fashion blog; I came to find out about yours because I was googling this picture so yep. Haha. :)
    I definitely will try those DIY recipes when I get home - I love DIY-ing my makeup, skin cleansers, etc.
    It'd mean the world to me if you checked out my blog, followed it, and maybe give me some constructive criticism? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!
    www.rufflesandcouture.blogspot.com

    -Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great DIY!

    Lyosha
    <a href="http://spady-spade.blogspot.com>Inside and Outside Blog</a>

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this, this pretty good.:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.