Jun 17, 2011

DIY Beauty Fridays: The Miracle of Mayonnaise

A constant debate in our house is Mayo vs. Miracle Whip.  I take a stand for Mayo (Hellman's, baby) all the way.  It's the best in turkey sandwiches AND oh so yummy to dip your french fries in.  Allan is opposite.  He loves Miracle Whip. Maybe it's the sweet tang but he'll put it on everything from his burgers, to ham sandwiches and even on his hot dogs.

Today is the day where I'm on the Miracle Whip bandwagon.

Miracle Whip Exfoliating Mask

Spread a thin layer of Miracle Whip (ensure you're using the full fat container and not the light or half fat) all over your face and neck.  Leave on your face for about ten minutes and then, massage gently.  Once you begin massaging, dead skin cells will start to roll of your skin.  (It's pretty crazy!!)  Wash off with lukewarm water and cleanse as normal.  This is one of those masks that you can do as often as you want, which is nice.  With constant use, you'll notice a major difference in your skin's texture.

Miracle Whip Deep Conditioner

Use about 1/2 cup of Miracle Whip for medium hair. (Adjust, obviously if your hair is longer.  I will say that for my hair, I use 1/2 cup, so don't be afraid to use a lot.)  Comb mayo through damp hair, cover with a shower cap and let it penetrate for about 20 minutes.  Rinse and shampoo once finished.  **Quick tip:  Ensure you rinse very well.  The last thing you want is leftover mayo in your hair PLUS it'll look really greasy.  

Why this works?  Miracle Whip is made with only a few ingredients and two of those are eggs and oil.  Both of these products are fabulous for moisturizing your skin/hair and will also add a massive amount of shine.  The only downside to Miracle Whip is the vinegar.  Yes, vinegar is fantastic for both skin and hair but the smell can be somewhat irritating to your eyes.  When using the mask, you might want to walk around the house so as not to let the smell linger.

I have been using Miracle Whip on my hair for eons and can't believe it's taken me this long to tell you about it.  Try these cheap beauty tricks out.  Not only will it save you a bundle but your hair and skin will look like you've just come home from the spa AND salon.

Happy Friday ladies!!  XO

10 comments:

  1. The mask sounds great! I think I'd feel weird about putting it on my face though :) ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Christina! Who knew that this condiment could do so much outside of making sandwiches and bugers oh so delicious. Since mayo contains eggs, I'm wondering if it would also make my grow more...that's what I'm trying to do right now. Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Vintage Markeup - I know, I know. I felt weird about it too but you HAVE to try it. Even just once. It works wonders.

    @Chandra - Not too sure about the hair growing thing but man, it makes your hair so smooth and shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super DIY post! I hate Miracle Whip, to eat, but I may buy a small tub just for beauty purposes now! I seem to remember doing the hair thing when I was a teenager, but I don't think I rinsed it out enough, so it wasn't a great experience. However, I am MUCH older and wiser now, so I'll have to try it out again! haha xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Who knew?! Alas, this is another one I won't be trying.. mayo makes me want to throw up! My dad loves the stuff, though.. His favorite summertime sandwich (that he learned from my mom's grandma) is peanut butter, banana and mayo. *wrinkles nose* Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a mayo kinda gal & can't believe I haven't used it as a hair treatment since my teens. Thanks for the reminder:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your DIY beauty posts! I don't have these brands at home but I have a full-fat mayo that will hopefully work the same. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. These kinds of posts are the best! I love using homemade products...I'll have to try miracle whip in my hair...I've tried coconut oil before but it was a bit too greasy and hard to get out.

    Aesthetic Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds interesting, thanks for sharing. I might try it.;D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had the chance to try so far other than the concealing spot treatment which was only so-so for me. And Spruce Body Lab is a great spa; The facials you described sound good too!
    laser treatment

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.