Feb 24, 2016

Toner: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly


No matter what your skin type or your skin care concerns, the right toner is one of the best things you can apply to your face.

I know, I know, I can hear the arguments pouring through the computer (ha) but I still stand behind my first sentence.  I say this with such conviction because I've been using the same toner for over 10 years with fantastic results AND have seen the results without using a toner.

Still my favorite toner, after all these years 
For those that aren't aware, toner is designed to refresh your skin while buffing the loose skin away, creating a super clean palette to either apply your makeup or your serums/moisturizers.  Depending on how potent of a toner you require will determine the ingredients in.  Most toners are mainly water and a glycerine type product and then, if using a stronger toner, an astringent will be added as well.  Astringents (alcohol) are added to decrease the oil production on the skin and are great for oily skin individuals.  Of course, there are other ingredients aside from these three - essential oils, specialty anti-aging products - but these 3 items are the base of any toner.

When picking the right toner, you should know these following things before shopping:
1) What type of skin do I have?
2) If I have sensitive skin, do fragrances irritate it?
3) Pricepoint
4) What benefit am I hoping for?

One of the best toners for Sensitive Skin
Most people know their skin type and, if they don't, usually can tell if they are oily, combination or prone to breakouts.  If you are prone to breakouts, your choice in toner would be different then the person who has never had a blemish before.  The issue with toners is when you have two problem areas - like sensitive skin AND are prone to breakouts.  This means you can't use a toner with a high astringent level because your sensitive skin will go crazy but you still want to kill the blemish-causing bacteria.  Apply all toners to the back of your hand FIRST before your face.  Give the toner a chance to blend in your skin and then see how it feels afterwards.  Remember, no matter what toner you buy, if your skin has a reaction return the item and try something else.

How To Apply a Toner 

I'm about to get blasted by people for saying this but I dislike gimmicky products.  By this I mean a toner that you spray on your face.  Yes, it's convenient but the idea of a toner is to scruff off the dead skin sooooo how would this work exactly?  It doesn't, at all.  About 95 % of toners should be applied with a cotton pad.  As you know, a cotton pad has two sides - one is non-grooved and should be used if you have sensitive skin OR a blemish/breakout area.  The grooved side is perfect to use on your T-zone, your nose and areas where your skin is NOT broken out or sensitive.  One of the best parts of my day is looking at that little cotton pad to see all the debris my toner removed...ha.

One of the best toners for Oily Skin
I ONLY use toner for my skin in the morning.  I use it to remove my night cream and debris from sleeping.  That's it.  If I used it anymore for my skin I'd worry about it drying out.  Remember the key to skin care is finding the routine that best works for you!

What's your favorite toner?  When do you usually apply it?

    

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! The clarins toner is by far my fave! I agree, I love using it in the am as well, or right after a good scrub. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.